LBSCR 4 Wheel Coaches
The LB&SCR built a large number of 4 wheel coaches formed into close coupled sets for suburban service with the Stroudley A1 class 0-6-0T Terrier engines. First, composite, second, third and brake third coaches were built all using a standard 26 feet length, 8 feet width size body constructed in mahogany on teak framing mounted on a 15 feet wheelbase chassis. Initially the only brakes available were the guards' hand brakes and lighting was by oil lamps. Later all coaches were equipped with continuous Westinghouse air brakes worked from the locomotive and gas lighting was provides, while from 1881 some sets were fitted with electric lighting.
Like the Terrier locomotives these coaches were later being distributed to country districts.
In 1924 from the surviving stock of Stroudley coaches two 4-coach sets were created for transfer to the Isle of Wight, each set formed with two 3-compartment brake third coaches, a 5-compartment third and a composite coach with 3 first and 1 third class compartments. Three further sets were transferred in 1925 formed from newer and longer Billinton design 4-wheel coaches. The ex-Brighton 4-wheel coaches were mostly used during the peak holiday season, as newer bogie coaches were becoming available for year-round service. All were withdrawn from service on the island in 1931.
These carriages were constructed between 1870 and 1890 totalling more than 1,500 for local and main line sets. The sets consisted of between eight and eleven coaches each 26ft long on a 15ft wheelbase and were originally close coupled with a bar but later some modified main line coaches were fitted with short buffers and amalgamated into the suburban sets, only the brake ends had long buffers. Braking initially was only available through the guards hand brake, but later all coaches were fitted with Westinghouse air brakes. Lighting was originally by oil lamps, however many coaches were later converted to gas lighting, and from 1881 some sets were fitted with electric lighting with a dynamo in the brake coach.
The oil lit varnished mahogany liveried coaches in the first production run as listed here. Later on Dapol will be offering different liveries, and details including gas and electric lighting and Westinghouse brakes. As a minimum a modeller will require one of the All third Brakes to operate a train of these coaches. On the suburban range of these coaches the interconnection between coaches will be provided by a prototypical draw bar, only the outer most end of the brake will be fitted with a standard coupling to connect the coaches to the locomotive.
Main line versions of the coach will be fitted with standard three link couplings and short buffers at both ends of each coach. All Brake 3rd coaches will have the prototypical longer buffers at the brake end of the coach.
The specifications for the coaches include::
Diecast compenstated Chassis
Injection moulded body and detail parts
Sprung metal buffers (note differences betwen suburban "close coupled" and mainline variants)
Sprung couplings (note differences betwen suburban "close coupled" and mainline variants)
LIght Bar and DCC fitted options
Different brake and light fitting to suit era (Oil lit to start with and later versions will cover both gas lit and electric lit options)
Expertly applied livery
Two lengths of close coupling bar will be offered with these coaches - A short coupling bar to be used with buffer free coaches and Billington (the successor engineer to Stroudey) conversion to buffers on one coach. A long coupling bar with be offered for converted main line coaches with buffers on both coaches. All close coupled coaches will be able to negotiate R2 curves.